Cybercriminals use a variety of ways to trick you into clicking on links or opening attachments that install malware or ransomware on your computer systems. These criminals may even pose as potential clients.
The malware or ransomware allows them to access your files or block you from accessing your files until you pay a ransom. Paying the ransom does not guarantee you access or that scammers will not demand more money.
To help protect your practice, use the following tips:
- do not open attachments or click on links in unsolicited or unfamiliar emails, SMS or social media messages
- ensure your computer security systems are up to date with anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- use a firewall to block unauthorised access
- secure your wireless network and remote accesses
- do not allow thumb drives or other removable media to be plugged into your network unless trusted and checked for viruses
- maintain regular physical backups kept separate from your network
- only visit reputable websites.